In thirteen where is the stress syllable

 

2.3. The Thirteen "Insignificant"

What happened to these thirteen companies, which together represented a market share of just under 1.5 percent?

 

EmudThe largest of this group with 0.5 percent of total sales, had a turnover of approx. 765,000 RM in 1932/33; the number of units sold was 15,333; this corresponded to a volume market share of 1.5 percent. For comparison: the Körting turnover with 9,785 devices was 1,480,000 RM, the volume-related market share was 0.9 percent. If the statistics are to be believed, this would mean that the average price of equipment (without tubes) at Körting was around RM 150, but at Emud it was only around RM 50. That sounds unlikely, but at Körting, considerable individual part sales have flowed into the result. Be that as it may, Emud was in the bottom price drawer and sold simple “Volksradios” - still below the price of the later VE 301. With these products Ernst Mästling had blossomed into a brand manufacturer, was able to increase his market share and remained in business until the end of the sixties .

 

Neufeldt & Kuhnke liked to produce something unusual, but was unable to post a larger market share either in the pre-war or in the post-war period.

 

Carl Sevecke was already producing C.S.H. tube receivers in its electrotechnical factory in Höchst am Main in the mid-twenties, but mainly amplifiers. Most of the collectors are unknown to the company and its brands. They were also not to be found in the usual radio catalogs. Max Braun was interested in a production company with a Telefunken building permit, initially worked with Sevecke, eventually came into possession of the make and in 1933 also included (real) Braun radios in the catalogs.

 

Schneider-Opel was considered the leading radio factory in the Rhine Main area in 1924. H.W. Schneider was the commercial director, Dr. Lertes and Ing. Pfeifer had the developer skills, the gentlemen from Opel had the money. After a steep increase, sales stagnated. No profits were made by the end of the twenties; In 1932 the company went bankrupt. Then there was the Schneider Opel wholesaler in Berlin. Radiofunk (more precisely: the "Radio Funk Werkstätten" R.F.W.) was a branch of the loudspeaker company Grassmann (Helios loudspeakers), which from 1933 brought out an (Africa) device series under this name. The devices were named Togo, Tabora, Cameroon, Samoa and Simba. Then there was R.F.W. - also called Rund Funk workshops - community products: Volksempfänger and Radio Union Einkreiser. In 1941 Grassmann (with loudspeaker production) was incorporated into the Löwe company association. (At that time, “Loewe” became “Lion” - see Chapter 3.51) Wega, in January 1924 as “Württ. Radiogesellschaft ”founded, was able to develop further, produced in the thirties (similar to Emud) preferably inexpensive straight-ahead receivers and only really got into business in the post-war period.

 

Klenk, 1924 by Dr. O. Schriever and Ludwig Klenk, based in Stuttgart, was and remained a small business. Until 1932/33, Klenk & Co mainly manufactured reception and amplifier systems for restaurants and hall events. After production was discontinued, the company became a radio specialist shop that existed until 1939.

 

DeTeWe, Deutsche Telefon Werke Berlin, was one of the leading producers of radio equipment as early as the First World War. The company also claimed a leading role at the start of entertainment broadcasting, where it manufactured, among other things, the devices sold by the Vox house. Detectors, straight-ahead and superhet receivers were offered under the DeTeWe trademark from 1924 to 1930. Then development stagnated. Towards the end of the thirties DeTeWe was on the market with rather insignificant radios, after the war only two “Notzeit devices” appeared.

 

TeKaDe, Süddeutsche Telefonapparate Kabel und Drahtwerke AG Nürnberg was a subsidiary of Felten & Guilleaume AG, which was part of the Lieben consortium. In 1924/25, in addition to headphones, the Nuremberg-based company manufactured detector devices and a few tube devices equipped with tubes from their own production. In the receiver sector, the TeKaDe has not achieved any major importance, the production focus was on the power amplifier sector.

 

Electric watt was a successor company of Watt Elektrizitäts AG Dresden, which had concluded an exclusive distribution agreement with Ehrich & Graetz. Graetz Söhne took over the company, including the building permit, and founded Graetz Radio GmbH in 1933.

 

Koch & Sterzel, the Dresdener Röntgenapparatewerk, initially brought a wide range of receiving devices of all kinds onto the market. In 1930/31, single and dual-circuit network connection receivers appeared, and radio production ended in 1932.

 

Frey radio. Martin Frey manufactured small series of various battery devices in Freiburg in 1925. At the end of the twenties, the "Pantophone Frey Radio GmbH" was founded in Berlin, but only traded in radios. The company existed (without production) until the post-war years and was deleted in 1952.

 

Schuchhardt (with the sales company "Allradio") was on the market with numerous models until 1928. After Standard Elektrik Lorenz - SEL - had acquired the majority in the late twenties, only remnants were sold in the early thirties.

 

Apparently the company Schaleco, Schackow, Leder & Co. Berlin was completely forgotten. She is in the statistics, which Dr. Lübeck was painstakingly put together by the AEG in 1940, is not mentioned. Schaleco was best known for its high-quality components and exclusive receiver models - especially in the period from 1932 to 1936. This is where the Olympia case was developed in 1936 and the VE Dyn.