How to cut carpet around items
Laying the carpet: the instructions
In this article, we show you how to properly lay carpets. Such a new, fluffy carpet is something great. Has your carpet not looked like the one in the picture for a long time? Not even after intensive cleaning? Then there is usually only the renewal: First of all: laying a carpet is not as difficult as one might initially assume.
We would describe laying laminate or tiles as much more difficult, the same applies to exotic floor coverings such as glass or epoxy resin. In this guide, we will show you what is important when laying a carpet so that you can do it all by yourself.
First we clarify the costs and then show some tips and tricks for laying carpets. Before that can happen, of course, the old carpet has to be removed. This is usually relatively easy, but it becomes more difficult with stubborn residues. In extreme cases, the high-pressure cleaner can help.
What you need:
- box cutter
- Replacement blades for carpet knives
- End strips
- Adhesive tape (double-sided)
- Velcro tape (with adhesive surface)
- Heavy objects (buckets of water, stones, ...)
Table of Contents
Getting the carpet laid: costs
Having a carpet installed is of course much more expensive than installing it yourself. The specific costs vary greatly from region to region and from craftsman to craftsman. In addition, the price is graded according to the effort. This varies depending on the property or floor.
Sometimes the old carpet has to be removed. If it is only lying there loosely, it costs comparatively little (approx. 1 € per m²). If it is stuck, you can calculate 4 times as much. Disposal may also be necessary. The same applies when laying the new carpet: Gluing is more expensive than without.
Gluing costs around € 5 to € 10 per m². If it has to be primed or even leveled beforehand, an additional € 2 per m² is due. For a better overview, we set up two scenarios for you:
- In the best case: No old carpet, no gluing, no priming / leveling:Approx. € 5 - 10 per m².
- In the worst case: Old fully glued carpet, new gluing and previous leveling:Approx. 15 - 25 € per m².
Cut carpet properly
Cutting carpet works very well with a sharp utility knife. You should change the blades regularly so that the knife is always sharp enough. A trick when laying two lengths of carpet next to each other is to first lay them together with a slight overlap.
Pay attention to the correct position - alignment and direction should be correct. Fix the carpets in place and then cut through both carpets at the same time in the overlap. This is how you achieve an invisible joint!
Laying the carpet without gluing
The easiest way to lay a carpet is without any glue. The carpet is initially simply rolled out and laid in the room without any fixation. You pull the folds smooth and push the carpet as it should be in the end. Pay attention to the direction of travel. We do not recommend gluing a carpet without gluing, otherwise it almost always happens that the carpet is wrinkled.
Information: The running direction is the direction in which the stitches naturally fall.
At the edges, the carpet should stand up against the wall. This edge can be several centimeters high. If the carpet lies as desired, the edges must be cut off. You need a very sharp box knife for this. Proceed as follows when cutting:
- Fix: When you cut the carpet, you should fix it around the cut with a heavy object. After cutting, leave the item there until everything is cut. Anyone who uses partial or full wrapping automatically fixes with it.
- Trim corners: The first step is to trim all corners. This applies to the corners of the room as well as door frames or heating pipes and all other odd edges where the carpet overlaps. The outer edges that the carpet runs around at the end will not be cut if it is to serve as a skirting board at the same time! In all other corners, first cut into the edge at the edge from top to bottom and cut off the overlapping remainder. Now you press the carpet edges into the corner - done.
- Trim the edges: If you also use the carpet as a skirting board, you have to bring the edges to the desired height. Use an appropriate rail for this. A long square piece of wood is sufficient if you have someone who can press it hard enough to the edge. If you want to install skirting boards, the carpet must be cut through exactly in the running edge. The rule here is: press the carpet into the edge and cut it. If you stay with the knife on the wall, use a cutting edge or a rail again!
- Very important: Do not hesitate to exchange the blades!
Lay the carpet with tape
We have just shown you step by step how to lay a carpet. We have not yet dealt with gluing. As a rule, a carpet is glued to the edges with at least double-sided adhesive tape. For larger rooms, you can also use adhesive strips that are crossed in the room.
Gluing the carpet: how to proceed
Some carpets are glued all over, for example natural fiber carpets. Here you roll up the carpet halfway again after laying it out. Then apply the adhesive evenly to the exposed surface with a notched trowel (B2 notch).
The carpet is then rolled out again on the still wet adhesive. Repeat the same thing with the other half. Make sure you do not soil the carpet that has already been laid and make any corrections immediately. Ventilate well! If two lengths of carpet have to be laid next to each other, glue the edges together!
Tip: A practical alternative to the special carpet adhesive is normal, thickly mixed wallpaper paste (for carpets with a fleece backing). Later on, the carpet can be easily removed with water and the surface will not be damaged.
YouTube instructions for laying carpets
There are many useful carpet laying guides on YouTube. We liked Hornbach's best. It shows how to glue a carpet over the entire surface. This covers practically all needs:
If you like it a little shorter, you can also refer to the schematic instructions from Obi:
- In the last few days pelicula completea descargar whatsapp
- Who are Jennifer Hudson backup singers
- Lifelong prison criminals most wanted
- How to refill bullets maplestory kinesis
- How do I get the current Windows username PHP
- How to redistribute yourself in the duvet
- How many tribes are there in Botswana
- What does stolen time mean
- What does RPN weapon stand for
- How to unsubscribe on Twitter for Blackberry
- When the dark comes tab
- How to invite someone to Facebook groups
- Zafer pointer shotguns, where they are made
- Rebels shout Tattoo Powhatan Va Hotels
- How to calculate osha tir calculation
- What is Edq tendon
- What is Invasive Inductive Carcinoma
- Took long, how innocent you are
- 14 karat spirit that sang it
- What color kitchen island to paint
- What's your name girl Maya Angelou PDF
- What is Powerpoint mainly used for?
- How did Lady Stark's father die
- How old is Jay Novacek's daughter