What is ethnocentrism and xenocentrism
Xenocentrism (engl. xenocentrism) is a political neologism, coined as an antithesis to ethnocentrism. Xenocentrism is the predilection for the products, styles or ideas of a foreign culture. Both the 18th century primitivism movement in European art and philosophy and the concept of the noble savage are examples of xenocentrism.
Table of Contents
Origin and use of the term
Xenocentrism has recently been used in social philosophy to describe a particular ethical disposition. Ethnocentrism, as the term was coined by William Graham Sumner of Yale University, describes the natural tendencies of the individual to place a disproportionately high value on the values and beliefs of their own culture compared to others. The term is traced back to Donald P. Kent and Robert G. Burnight, who are said to have coined it in 1951.
As an extension of this concept, John D. Fullmer of Brigham Young University conceived xenocentrism as the result of attempts by individuals to correct their own ethnocentrism. He argued that when an individual responds to their own perceived ethnocentrism, they often overcompensate and instead begin to practice disproportionate attention to the ideas and needs of social groups that are far away.
- Allan G. Johnson: The Blackwell dictionary of sociology: a user's guide to sociological language (2 ed.), Wiley-Blackwell 2000, p. 351. ISBN 978-0-631-21681-0
- ↑ Marin C. Călin, Magdalena Dumitrana (editor; 2001) Values and Education in Romania Today; Page 191 ff; On-line
- ^ Robert K. Merton (1979) The Sociology of Science: Theoretical and Empirical Investigations; University of Chicago Press, p. 108 ff; On-line
- ↑ Ranjana Subberwal (2009) Dictionary Of Sociology; Tata McGraw-Hill (New Delhi); ISBN 978-0-07-066031-1; On-line
Categories:Action and behavior (sociology) | Social psychology
Status of information: 04/26/2021 05:32:56 AM CEST
Source: Wikipedia (authors [version history]) License: CC-by-sa-3.0
Changes: All images and most of the design elements associated with them have been removed. Some of the icons have been replaced by FontAwesome icons. Some templates have been removed (such as “Article worth reading”, “Excellent article”) or rewritten. Most of the CSS classes have been removed or standardized.
Wikipedia-specific links that do not lead to articles or categories (such as "Redlink", "Edit links", "Portal links") have been removed. All external links have an additional FontAwesome icon. In addition to other small design adjustments, media containers, maps, navigation boxes, spoken versions and geo-microformats have been removed.
Important NOTE Since the given content was automatically taken over from Wikipedia at the specified time, manual checking was and is not possible. LinkFang.org therefore does not guarantee the accuracy and timeliness of the content taken over. If the information is incorrect in the meantime or there are errors in the presentation, we ask you to contact us by: E-Mail.
- How to solve sums on ti-89 titanium
- When does Kadabra develop into leafy green
- Which means little to no discharge
- Who does my rich uncle's bad credit belong to
- What is a Prime Cost Contract Benefits
- How to pronounce ingonyama
- Where are Midocean ridges formed Weegy issues
- Doctor, the s7e1 vimeo girl
- What does Kya mean in years
- Jb brubaker amp settings for whole lotta
- Recette Riz Frit Yang Chow
- What does Cob mean in Australia
- What is pull angle
- What is tasty water
- Where am I calling from
- What is an emotional genius
- What does lively woman mean?
- What is gooseneck loosestrife plant
- Katarzyna Stachowska Warszawa Poland
- How many burette drops in 1 ml
- How to make omega symbol in word
- Using the inventory of high frequency scanners
- Who made the old Kraft commercials
- How to play freebird solo tab
- Who makes Dyadema jewelry collection
- Majka Kolonics what is
- What causes red spots in the stool
- How to say in Korean one day
- How to Flash Q7a Tablet Hotels
- Batu caves focus on massage everywhere
- What is tiger beer made of
- Sanjeev Kapoor Tandoori Naan Whole Wheat Wheat
- Whenever you are sad, remember