Whole grain rye bread Coles
|Start to finish:||3½-4 hours|
|Hands-on time:||20-25 minutes|
|Yield:||Two 2¾ lb./1,250 kg loaves|
Of all the different kinds of rye breads I've made and tasted, the coarse dark ones have always been among my favorites for their rustic mouthfeel and intense rye flavors. This buttermilk rye, which comes from northern Germany, has the added attraction of very short prep time, meaning that I can start a loaf at breakfast and have it for dinner.
Unlike most of the coarse breads I've made, this one is built on a yeast-leavened straight dough, acidified and hydrated with nearly 100% buttermilk - enough to tenderize the loaf's coarse rye meal and cracked wheat during its 3-hour, moderate temperature bake. The texture gets added complexity from large additions of sunflower, flax and sesame seeds, while a generous addition of sugarbeet molasses (Turnip tops or Beet syrup in German) combines with the buttermilk to produce a sof-edged sweet-sour combination that reminds me of vanilla-flavored yogurt.
This is a bread that goes well with almost anything; we had it instead of bagels for our Sunday cream cheese and smoked salmon brunch and it was magnificent.
|Sugarbeet molasses or dark corn syrup|
|Medium rye flour|
|Coarse rye meal|
|Vegetable shortening for pan|
|Rolled oats for dusting|
Combine the buttermilk and sugarbeet molasses in a saucepan and warm to body temperature (100 ° F / 38 ° C). Add the yeast, stir to dissolve and let stand until bubbly, 10-15 minutes.
In the mixer, combine the buttermilk mixture, rye flour, rye meal, cracked wheat and salt and use the paddle at low (KA2) speed to mix until it has the consistency of a thick cake batter, 8-10 minutes. Add the seeds and mix to blend, 2-3 minutes.
Use a plastic dough scraper and wet hands to transfer the dough into two well-greased 9 ″ x4 ″ x4 ″ / 23x10x10 cm. Pullman loaf pans or two 9 ″ x5 ″ x3 ″ / 23x13x8 cm standard loaf pans that have been dusted with rolled oats. Cover and let stand at room temperature (70 ° F / 21 ° C) until the dough rises to within ¾ ”/ 1.80 cm of the rim, 15-20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 285 ° F / 140 ° C with the baking surface in the upper half. Bake until the internal temperature is at least 198 ° F / 92 ° C, 3-3½ hours. Remove from the pan and transfer to a rack until thoroughly cool. Best after resting at least 24 hours. Slice thin.
- What is Phd waxing
- How to dilute concentrated perfume oil
- What was Isabel Sanford Fortune
- How much does hydrostatic weighing cost
- What is called falsa fruit in India
- To clean the tape, how does it work
- How to use facetime without jailbreaking wifi
- What are soft copy output devices
- What is Muzz Buzz Marketing News
- What happened in Kenya Liveleak massacre
- When she yells Sparknotes beowulf
- What does longo mean in Italian
- What is ergonomics betekenis afternoons
- Gimario te fuistes descargar whatsapp
- What is the oxidation number of the elements
- What does it mean to read between the sheaves
- Howard Johnson such fine lyrics & chords
- Hollywood Heights fanfiction when the going gets tough
- Germolene new skin how to remove
- How to solve the rubiks cube 5x5
- Anton Chekhov Three Sisters Summary Agnes
- Who Own Trois Estates Reviews
- Mi iglesia alex d castro descargar whatsapp
- Cool whatsapp group names malayalam live